Monday, January 24, 2011

The Pearl (Essay Response)

Jackson Wolf
January 18th
Final draft
The Pearl
Final-Draft

The Pearl, by John Steinbeck is a very good book. It has lots of descriptive words, and phrases. Like for example, “The canoe was killed”. And the descriptive words, like detachment, or splash of the morning. These are all symbolisms that lead to tragedy. So today, I will prove that this story is tragedy.

First of all, the plot-line in The Pearl. It has the exact same events as within the tragic plot-line. World Conflict: Coyotito gets stung by a scorpion. Rise to power: Kino finds the pearl, gets rich, and Coyotito’s wound heals. Tragic flaw: Greed is destroying the family, and this greed caused the canoe to be ‘killed’ and their house to be set on fire. Tragic fall: They’re forced from their homes. Death or death symbolism: Coyotito dies. So far, I’ve given a example of how this is tragedy.

Now for the symbolism. As I stated earlier, the descriptive words, detachment, splash in the morning, are symbolisms to Tragedy. In addition, “The canoe was killed”, is another example of Tragedy. What they’re saying about this is that the canoe was destroyed. Also, of how this story is tragedy, Death. Death is probably what the main thing is about Tragedy. Most people, when they hear the word: Tragedy, think of death. I mean, that’s what I think of when I hear the word “Tragedy”. Anyways, I think I’ve proved enough that this is Tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment